Thinking about getting your own custom bicycle or frame set from Muse Cycles?
Wondering what the process is, and how this typically works? Here is break down of the steps to getting your own custom bicycle or frame set:
- Browse the information here on the site and when you are ready to take the first step, call or email Lyle to begin the conversation about your custom Muse bicycle. Lyle will be happy to guide you through your options and provide a rough price estimate of the completed bicycle or frame set at this stage. At this point, Lyle will also be able to look at his current queue, and give you an idea how much time will likely pass before you are able to take possession of your custom bicycle / frame set if you were to secure your place in the queue. Final delivery can take anywhere from 3 months (typical) to 8 months.
- Once you are ready to commit, you will need to make your non-refundable $500 deposit to secure your place in the queue. Because Muse Cycles are built one at a time, there is typically a queue. It can take anywhere from 1 – 3 months before your bicycle enters the queue.
- About a month before Lyle expects to begin building your bicycle – he will contact you to begin the final discussions and finalize the design of your custom Muse bicycle.
- After the discussion and design stage is complete, Lyle will need to order the raw materials to build up your bicycle – so that when your bicycle enters the queue all the raw material and parts / components are on hand to ensure compatibility when building your bicycle. Therefore, at this time you will need to make an additional deposit. To continue to move forward in the queue, your total deposit at this stage (including the original $500 deposit) will need to be 50 percent of the estimated final cost of your completed bicycle or frame set. At the end of this stage everything about the design of your bicycle should be finalized – except possibly the final color and paint scheme.
- Your bicycle is being built. Changes in the finalized design at this point can cause significant delays and incur additional charges, and possibly cause your bicycle to move back into the queue. When possible – photographs of your bicycle being built will be viewable on Flickr. This step can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month depending on the complexity / details on your bicycle / frame set.
- Your frame is ready for paint. If you have decided on color and finish (powder coat or wet paint) then your bicycle will be sent to the painter without delay. If you have not yet decided on color and finish for your bicycle, Lyle will contact you at this time to further discuss your options.
- Your frame set is being painted. This step can can anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months. Expect to wait approximately 2 weeks if you have decided on a simple one color powder coat with a clear coat (I can usually have that done locally). Expect to wait approximately 4 weeks if you have decided on a simple one color wet paint with a clear coat (I try to have that done locally but sometimes have to ship it to a specialist). Expect to wait 3 months or more if you are looking for a multiple color powder coat, or a elaborate multiple color wet paint.
- Back from the painter – Lyle builds up the bicycle – or puts the final finishing touches on your frame set (chase all threads, re-face all bearing surfaces, apply Frame Saver if you have elected to have this done, and generally get your frame set ready for you to build up).
- Lyle will contact you for the remaining payment, and to discuss shipping or pickup.
- You pickup you completed bicycle or frame set, or it is shipped to you.